Paul Caponigro was born in Boston in 1932. Following public school he studied piano at Boston University. At this time, about 1952, he encountered photography. Drafted in 1953 he was stationed in San Francisco as a photographer and there he met and studied with Benjamin Chin. Following his separation from the Army in 1955 he returned to Boston where he devoted considerable time to his photography. At various times between 1957 and 1959 he studied with Minor White. In 1958 he had his first one-man exhibition at George Eastman House. In 1960 he began teaching photography at Boston University, the first of many part-time teaching and workshop positions he will hold to this day. In 1962 he published his first portfolio of original prints and in 1967 the first monograph devoted to his work was published. In 1966 he was awarded a Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship and he received a second in 1975. In 1966 he traveled to Europe, in particular to Ireland and England, and he returned there nearly every year for the next decade. He worked briefly in Japan in 1976. After having lived in Connecticut since 1967 he moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1973. His recent workshops include two in England and one in Banff, Canada in 1978 and he recently received a grant from the Arts Council of Great Britain to photograph in northern England. At present he is engaged in the preparation of a volume devoted to his photographs of the great stone monuments.